Goals of this lesson
- Learn how to transport data (e. g. variables) between pools by using message flows
The BPMN allows transportation of explicit data by messages. We will now transfer a variable called "var1" from the upper pool to the lower pool by using the message flow between the activities "Send Data" and "Receive Data".
Figure 1: Model 4b - Transporting Process Variables via Messages / IYOPRO-Link
- Select the activity "Initialise Data" and define a variable called "var1" with the value 1 in the expression property.
- Now click the message flow.
- You will notice that it also contains an Expression property.
- Click the Edit button
- Enter the variable's name "var1" to make the message flow transport this specific variable
- Since the lower pool now also possesses the variable "var1", we will use it for the decision making at the branching exclusive gateway:
- Upper edge condition: var1==1
- Lower edge condition: var1==2
After simulating the model, you will notice that the activity "Evaluate to 2" has never been executed.